If you are here then it is because you have seen these cute crochet frog hats. They are just adorable and gorgeous. If you are looking to make your own, then this post is just the one for you. I have collected a few crochet beanie patterns that i believe you will love.
Easy Crochet Frog Hat
If you are looking for a quick project, then look no further. The crochet frog bucket hat might just be the way to go. They make a great gift, plus they are cute and trendy, so you will love them.
If you wish to sell the finished crochet bucket hat, then feel free to do so, it would be lovely for you to give credit to the original designer.
How to crochet a frog hat
A crochet frog bucket hat can be made in a very few simple steps. And i will summarise them all below for you.
- Step 1: Make a magic ring- This helps if you are planning on working in the round. If a crochet magic ring is hard for you, then you can simply chain 3 and slip stitch to the first chain you made.
- Step 2: Following this, you will work a few rows of increase. These will differ on sizes you are making. For larger sizes, you will make more rows than the smaller sizes.
- Step 3: Once you have a circle that overs enough of your head, you will then work some normal rows, to form the bucket shape. These rows again will differ depending on the size you are making.
- Step 4: To form the flaps, you will then work 4-5 rows of increase, or however many rows your crochet bucket hat calls for. If we were working an ordinary crochet bucket hat, we would be done on this step. But we are making a frog hat. So we have one more step to make.
- Step 5: Make the frog eyes, we will make these separately then sew them onto out crochet frog hat. And just like that, you are all done!
Crochet Frog Hat Supplies
For this crochet project, the supplies may differ depending on the pattern you are using. Be sure to follow the crochet pattern instructions, but if you are looking for some yarn inspiration, then here you go:
- Crochet hook. You will be using whichever size the pattern crochet hook this project calls for
- Yarn. Most frog hat patterns call for a worsted weight yarn SO you can use any worsted weight cotton yarn you like.
- Tape measure or ruler. Measuring your gauge is important to get the right fit.
- Stitch marker. I like to make the first stitch of my rounds to keep track of the pattern.
Best Yarn For Crochet Frog Hats
For bucket hats, It is recommend that you use cotton yarn. Cotton fibre is more breathable than other types of yarn – which is important if you want your head to stay cool in the summer heat. The texture of cotton yarn also helps the hat keep its shape.
Here are a few cotton yarns I recommend:
- Lily Sugar’n Cream: The is the all-time classic cotton yarn: Lily Sugar n’ Cream. This yarn comes in any color imaginable, including stripes and ombre colorways. For this hat, you’ll need one of the larger 4oz balls of yarn.
- Lion Brand 24/7 Cotton: Lion Brand 24/7 cotton is another great choice for this bucket hat project. This yarn is made with 100% mercerized cotton yarn, which means it’s shinier and a little softer than Lily Sugar’n Cream.
Tips To Crocheting Your First Frog Hat
Here are a few tips and tricks for making this pattern.
- This hat is worked in spiral rounds. When you begin a new round, use a stitch marker to mark the first stitch of the round. When you get to the end of the round, don’t turn your work or make a turning chain. Instead, make the first stitch of the next round in the first stitch of the previous round.
- Be sure to check your gauge. Getting the correct gauge will mean the difference between a hat that fits and one that’s way too large.
- Remember: If you use a different yarn than the pattern recommends, you might get a different gauge. That’s okay, though – just use a larger hook if you need a looser gauge or a smaller hook if you need a tighter gauge.
- If your hat brim is too floppy, consider using a smaller size crochet hook for the brim section. Using a smaller hook will create a denser, sturdier fabric that’s less likely to ruffle. For example, if you made the body of the crochet frog hat with a 4.0 mm hook, you could try using a 3.5 mm hook for the brim.
- Take breaks often. If your body starts talking to you, like your back etc, please take breaks in between.
Crochet Frog Hat Patterns
Finally, what we have all been waiting for. Be sure to let us know which bucket hat was your fave.
1. Crochet Sun Frog Hat
This funny Amy the Frog Sun Hat is perfect from newborns to adults. This pattern includes 6 sizes, so you can make one for dad, for mom and your little one 🙂 It’s perfect for summer for its cute brim. In this pattern you will find Girl & Boy versions. Read more here…
2. Frog Bucket Hat
Here is a simple and fast and cute crochet frog hat. Make a great beginner crochet project. Read more…
3. Crochet Baby Frog Hat
You want to keep the little ones warm while looking colourful and fun at the same time? Then this crochet frog hat can be the perfect one for you. Read more here…
4. Crochet Frog Bucket Hat
Who says frog bucket hats must be green?, This yellow bucket hat is just cute!. You can catch the crochet tutorial HERE
5. Easy Crochet Bucket Hat
Bucket hats were all the rage in the ’90s and I’m so happy to see them come back in style in a really fun way. If you want to make your very own crochet bucket hat, the read more…
6. Free Crochet Frog Hat Pattern
This crochet frog ear flaps pattern is just cute. When kids see hats like this, they will definitely love to wear it. So warmth is guaranteed. Get the free crochet frog hat here.
7. Froggy Beret Crochet Hat
An adorable froggy beret! Why wear a regular hat when you could wear a froggy beret instead??
Pattern level: advanced (or ambitious) beginner. Must be comfortable sewing on small pieces, working in the round, embroidering facial features, and changing colors.
Sizes included: one size, fits nearly all teens & adults. Get pattern here…
8. Crochet Frog Hat For Cats
This hat is just beautiful. Get the hat HERE.
9. Crochet Froggy Bucket Hat
To make this bucket hat you will only need 3 colors of yarn: black and white for the eyes on the top, and one more for the base, in this case, it’s green, but if you want to vary it a bit, do it and get a colorful frog! Read more…
10. Easy Frog Hat
This is a very adorable and super easy frog hat crochet pattern. It works up really fast and is a great idea for last minute baby gift. You can add a cute bow or flower to make it a little feminine, or leave it just the way it is. Read more…
Pin this post: Save this tutorial to your Pinterest boards so that you can come back to it later.
Leave a comment: We love to hear your feedback. Tell me in the comments below!
Share on Instagram or Facebook: When you make this project, share it on social media and tag me,We love to see what you make!