When it comes to crochet creations, few items are as cherished as a crochet lovey. These adorable and comforting security blankets are perfect for little ones, providing a sense of warmth and security.
In this article, we will guide you through a delightful crochet lovey patterns that will surely capture your heart. So, grab your crochet hook and let’s get started!
What is a crochet lovey?
A crochet lovey, also known as a security blanket or comfort blanket, is a small blanket or soft toy that is typically made using crochet techniques. It is designed to provide comfort, warmth, and a sense of security to infants and young children.
Crochet loveys often consist of a small stuffed toy or amigurumi animal head attached to a square or rectangular blanket base. The head portion is usually crocheted separately and then sewn or attached to one corner of the blanket. The blanket base can be created using various crochet stitch patterns and can be customised with different colours and designs.
How to crochet a lovey blanket
This will not apply to all the crochet lovey blanket patterns, but this guide should help you get started :
- Start with the Head:
- Begin by using the larger crochet hook and create a magic ring.
- Crochet a series of single crochet stitches into the magic ring. This will form the center of the head.
- Increase the number of stitches in each round to create a circular shape. Continue increasing until you reach the desired size for the head.
- Stuff the head with polyester fiberfill, ensuring it is firmly packed. Add safety eyes or embroider the facial features as desired.
- Finish off and leave a long tail for sewing the head to the blanket base.
- Create the Blanket Base:
- Switch to the smaller crochet hook and select your preferred stitch pattern for the blanket base. You can use single crochet, double crochet, granny squares, or any other stitch pattern you like.
- Determine the size of the blanket base. You can crochet a square or rectangular shape, depending on your preference.
- Crochet the blanket base until it reaches the desired dimensions. You can make it large enough to cover a portion of the head or create a larger blanket for extra snuggle room.
- Attach the Head to the Blanket Base:
- Position the stuffed head on one corner of the blanket base, aligning it with the edge.
- Using the long tail left from the head, thread the yarn needle and sew the head securely to the blanket base. Ensure it is centered and firmly attached.
- Finish with Border and Edging:
- To give the lovey blanket a finished look, add a border or edging around the entire blanket base. This can be done using a contrasting color or continuing with the same color used for the base.
- Choose a stitch pattern for the border, such as single crochet, crab stitch, or a decorative stitch. Crochet evenly around the edges of the blanket base.
- Continue crocheting the border until you have completed all sides of the blanket.
Once you have finished crocheting the lovey blanket, weave in any loose ends using the yarn needle. Ensure that all components are securely attached for safety purposes.
Feel free to personalize your lovey by choosing different colors, stitch patterns, and adding embellishments. The lovey can be a cherished gift or a delightful addition to your own collection of crochet creations.
Best Yarn For Crochet Lovey
To make a safe and lasting crochet lovey, you can either pick to use an ombre yarn or you can pick shades of yarn that are of your choice. And the end result will be absolutely beautiful. The expected yarn weight for this lovey crochet pattern is the worsted weight yarn or the category 4 yarn, however, if the pattern uses otherwise, they will be sure to tell you.
$2.99 a ball!
Other supplies for crochet security blankets
To crochet an lovey, you will need to have the following supplies at your disposal:
You could never have enough hooks!
Scissors– I have never used the scissors as much for one crochet project before, except when i was crochet the mosaic blanket.
Stuffing– Since crochet lovies have an amigurumi head of your desired creature, you will definitely need some stuffing for shaping.
Gives the amigurumis perfect shaping!
Safety eyes- Unless your crochet lovey is sleeping, you will need some safety eyes to make your amigurumi head look more alive.
Assorted Safety Eyes & Nose
Cutest Crochet Lovey Free & Paid Patterns
1. Free Crochet Giraffe Lovey Pattern
Grab the free crochet lovey pattern HERE.
2. Bear blanket lovey free crochet pattern
Grab the free crochet pattern HERE
3. Free crochet lamb lovey pattern
Grab the free pattern here.
4. Teddy bear lovey free crochet pattern
Grab the free crochet pattern HERE
5. Crochet Lovey Pattern Free
Head HERE for the free crochet lovey pattern.
6. Deer Crochet Lovey Pattern
Grab the paid crochet lovey pattern HERE.
7. Sheep Lovey Crochet Pattern
Head HERE for the paid crochet pattern.
8. Crochet Lovey Pattern
Head HERE for the paid crochet lovey pattern.
9. Peter the penguine crochet lovey pattern
Find the penguin crochet lovey pattern HERE.
10. Fox Lovey Crochet Pattern
I really hope you love what we had for you today. And i hope you have found a crochet lovey project to work with!