If you are looking for a simple beginner crochet squirrel pattern, then welcome, grab a chain and sit down. We have a collection of gorgeous all level squirrel patterns.
Crochet is a versatile and fun hobby that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. From blankets and scarves to toys and accessories, the possibilities are endless. One particularly cute and popular project is the crochet squirrel.
This adorable little critter is the perfect introduction to the world of amigurumi (the Japanese art of crocheting stuffed animals) and is sure to bring a smile to anyone’s face.
What is amigurumi?
Amigurumi is a Japanese word that refers to the art of crocheting or knitting small, stuffed animals or creatures. This craft has become increasingly popular over the years, and it’s a great way to use your imagination and create cute and quirky toys that are perfect for children, friends, or yourself.
The versatility of the medium means that amigurumi can be made in any shape, size, or color, and the finished products can be used as decorations, toys, or even as key chains.
One of the unique things about amigurumi is that it’s worked in a continuous spiral, without joining the rounds, which gives the finished product a seamless look.
Additionally, the use of single crochet stitches and tight tension helps to create a sturdy fabric that can be stuffed with soft materials, such as polyester fiberfill, to give the toy shape and body.
Overall, amigurumi is a fun, creative, and rewarding craft that is perfect for both beginners and experienced crafters alike.
Stitches & Techniques To crochet a squirrel
Here are some of the stitches and techniques that you’ll need to know to crochet a squirrel:
- Magic Ring: This is a starting method used in amigurumi that allows you to create a neat and tight center hole that won’t gap when you stuff your toy. To make a magic ring, wrap the yarn around your fingers, insert your hook into the center, and pull up a loop. Then, work your stitches into the center of the ring.
- Single Crochet (sc): This is the most basic stitch used in amigurumi and it’s the main building block for creating the shape and body of your squirrel. To make a single crochet, insert your hook into the next stitch, yarn over, pull up a loop, yarn over, and pull through both loops on the hook.
- Increasing: To increase in amigurumi, you simply work 2 single crochets into the same stitch. This helps to create a round shape and add volume to your toy.
- Decreasing: To decrease in amigurumi, you work a single crochet 2 stitches together. This is done by inserting your hook into the next stitch, yarn over, and pulling up a loop. Then, insert your hook into the following stitch, yarn over, and pull up a loop. Finally, yarn over and pull through all 3 loops on the hook.
- Stuffing: Stuffing is an important aspect of amigurumi and it gives your toy its shape and body. Be sure to stuff your squirrel firmly, but not too tightly, so that it still has some give and is still soft to the touch.
- Closing Holes: Once you’ve finished stuffing your squirrel, you’ll need to close the holes at the top of its head and body. To do this, use your tapestry needle to sew the remaining stitches together, pulling the yarn tight and knotting it securely to prevent the stuffing from coming out.
With these basic stitches and techniques, you’ll be well on your way to creating your own adorable crochet squirrel. Be sure to experiment with different colours and patterns to make each squirrel unique, and have fun with the process!
Supplies for a crochet squirrel
Here are the supplies you’ll need to crochet a squirrel:
- Yarn: You’ll need yarn in the color(s) of your choice for your squirrel. Acrylic or cotton yarn works well for amigurumi, as it’s durable and easy to work with.
- Crochet Hook: A size E (3.5mm) or F (3.75mm) crochet hook is typically used for amigurumi. Choose the size that works best with your yarn.
- Stuffing: You’ll need polyester fiberfill or a similar type of stuffing material to give your squirrel shape and body.
- Tapestry Needle: This is a large, blunt needle with an eye that’s perfect for sewing pieces together and weaving in ends.
- Stitch Markers: Stitch markers are used to mark the beginning of each round, so you know where you started and can keep track of your progress.
- Scissors: You’ll need scissors to cut your yarn.
- Safety Eyes: These are small, plastic eyes that you can insert into your squirrel to give it a cute and expressive face.
With these supplies on hand, you’ll be ready to start crocheting your own adorable squirrel!
Tips to crocheting a squirrel
Here are some tips to help you crochet a squirrel:
- Plan ahead: Before you start crocheting, plan out the colors and details you want to include in your squirrel. This will help you choose the right yarn and create a cohesive design.
- Follow the pattern carefully: Amigurumi patterns can be complex, so be sure to follow the instructions carefully. If you have any questions or get stuck, don’t hesitate to ask for help or seek out online tutorials.
- Use stitch markers: Stitch markers are a helpful tool to keep track of the beginning of each round and ensure that your squirrel stays symmetrical.
- Stuff firmly but not tightly: Stuffing is an important aspect of amigurumi, as it gives your squirrel shape and body. Be sure to stuff your squirrel firmly, but not too tightly, so that it still has some give and is still soft to the touch.
- Weave in your ends: Take the time to weave in your yarn ends, so that your squirrel looks neat and professional.
- Experiment with colors and patterns: Don’t be afraid to get creative with your squirrel design. Try different color combinations and patterns to make each squirrel unique and special.
- Have fun: Crocheting is a fun and relaxing hobby, so remember to enjoy the process! Take your time and don’t be discouraged if you make mistakes. Just keep practicing and you’ll soon become a pro at crocheting squirrels.
By following these tips, you’ll be well on your way to creating a fun, cute, and quirky squirrel that you can be proud of!
Easy Crochet Squirrel Patterns
1. Amigurumi squirrel free pattern
Isn’t this champ cute? If you love this crochet squirrel pattern, you can have it for free HERE.
2. Amigurumi squirrel freee pattern
Free pattern of this squirrel can be found HERE
3. Crochet squirrel pattern
Here is a cute crochet squirrel with a cone! Just love it! Grab the free pattern HERE.
4. Squirrel free crochet pattern
CUTE CUTE CUTE CUTE! I just loves these fellas. If you do too then you can make yourself a few crochet squirrels using this pattern.
5. Oscar the squirrel crochet pattern
Meet Oscar, how cute is this little squirrel? Grab the crochet pattern here.
Found a squirrel crochet pattern you liked? I hope you did! If not, then maybe the following patterns might steal your heart: