Crochet is a versatile and fun hobby that can be used to create a variety of beautiful items. One such item can be a crochet umbrella. Making an umbrella is not only a fun DIY project, but it also provides a unique and personalised solution for those rainy days.
As i was looking at some simple crochet umbrella patterns, i came across some that did not look so simple, but were absolutely gorgeous. Some used an asteria (mandala) crochet pattern and the outcome was just gorgeous
How To Crochet An Umbrella
Have you ever worked so hard at a crochet project and just wanted to display it instead of use it? This crochet umbrella pattern will be that project for you.
To make a crochet umbrella, you follow a few easy steps summarised below:
Step 1: Choose Your Yarn or Thread
When it comes to crocheting an umbrella, the type of yarn or thread you use is important. You will want to choose a sturdy, waterproof material to ensure that your umbrella will keep you dry on those rainy days. Some popular choices include cotton, nylon, and polyester.
Step 2: Measure Your Umbrella Frame
To ensure that your crochet umbrella will fit properly over your umbrella frame, you need to measure it. Start by measuring the circumference of the umbrella at its widest point and then measure the length from the top to the bottom. Make sure to take note of these measurements so that you can use them to create your crochet pattern.
Step 3: Find Your Umbrella Crochet Pattern
Next, you will want to find a create a crochet pattern for your umbrella. This can be done by finding a simple stitch pattern, such as single crochet or double crochet. You will want to make sure that your stitch pattern is tight enough to keep the rain out but not so tight that it will be difficult to put the umbrella frame inside.
Step 4: Crochet Your Umbrella Cover
Once you have your crochet pattern, you can begin crocheting your umbrella cover. Start by working from the top down, using the measurements you took in step 2 to ensure that your cover will fit properly over the umbrella frame. Continue crocheting until you reach the desired length.
Step 5: Attach Your Umbrella Cover to the Umbrella Frame
The final step is to attach your crochet umbrella cover to the umbrella frame. You can do this by using fabric glue or by sewing the cover to the frame using a needle and thread.
With these simple steps, you can create your own crochet umbrella, providing a unique and personalised solution for those rainy days.
Crochet Umbrella Supplies
- Crochet thread or yarn
- Crochet hook
- Fabric glue or needle and thread
- Umbrella frame
- Ruler or measuring tape
Crochet Umbrella Tips
Here are some tips to help you successfully crochet an umbrella:
- Choose the right yarn or thread: As i mentioned, you want to choose a sturdy, waterproof material to ensure your umbrella will keep you dry. Cotton, nylon, and polyester are all good options.
- Measure your umbrella frame accurately: Measuring your umbrella frame is crucial to ensuring that your crochet cover fits properly. Make sure to measure both the circumference and the length of the umbrella frame.
- Use a tight stitch pattern: Your stitch pattern should be tight enough to keep the rain out, but not so tight that it will be difficult to insert the umbrella frame. A simple stitch pattern, such as single crochet or double crochet, works well.
- Crochet from the top down: Start at the top of the umbrella frame and work your way down, using the measurements you took in step 2 to ensure that the cover fits properly.
- Attach the cover securely: Use fabric glue or a needle and thread to attach your crochet cover to the umbrella frame. Make sure the cover is attached securely so that it won’t come loose during use.
- Test your umbrella: Before you consider your crochet umbrella project complete, be sure to test it out. Open and close the umbrella several times to make sure the cover stays in place and that the umbrella operates smoothly.
By following these tips, you can create a beautiful and functional crochet umbrella that will bring joy to your rainy days!
5 Crochet Umbrella Patterns
You are jut going to fall in love with these crochet umbrellas. Use one colour or an ombre yarn to create a beautiful layered crochet umbrella. Perfect for the sun and the rain all together. Pick your pattern
1. Umbrella Parasols Free Crochet Pattern
This is a lovely pineapple lacy crochet umbrella pattern. I would not recommend this for beginners, but if you are patient and have an attentive eye, you can crochet this beautiful umbrella. Read more…
2. DIY Crochet Umbrella Pattern
I am just in love with this crochet umbrella pattern. From the solid colour to the edges! I know you do too. This crochet umbrella pattern can be found on Etsy.
Grab the pattern HERE.
3. Crochet Pineapple Umbrella Pattern
I find the pineapple stitches just gorgeous to use for the crochet umbrellas. If you are a sucker for them too then you will love this crochet pattern. It is another paid pattern on Etsy, i hope it makes you happy.
Grab the crochet pattern HERE.
4. Free Tiny Umbrella Crochet Pattern
If you love t crochet miniature projects, then this tiny crochet umbrella is just for you. Made with some crap yarn, it will definitely not make a dent in your pocket!
This umbrella pattern is a video tutorial. So if you are a visual learner like myself, you will love this one! Watch here.
5. Crochet Umbrella Pattern
If you are looking for a lacy beginner friendly crochet umbrella pattern, then this one might just be the one for you! The lacy stitch is absolute beginner friendly as long as you follow along closely and pay great attention.
Without wasting time, grab the umbrella crochet pattern HERE.
Found an umbrella pattern you loved? I hope you did if not, then i hope next time will do it. Until next time, Happy crafting!